About Me

I was born and raised in The Hague, the Netherlands by an American mother and Swedish father. I am currently a junior at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro studying music and physics. This blog centers upon my pursuits in the realm of thermal physics.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Melting Ice



As explained in the video, the filming and measuring equipment malfunctioned before all of the ice melted into water. I was able to take some photographs to document the rest of the process:













It can finally be seen that the temperature of the water (melted ice) returns to room temperature while the mass of the ice/water remains unchanged.

3 comments:

  1. Has watching internet videos explaining/demonstrating thermodynamics(like the one you just created) helped you understand thermodynamics/physics in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. Watching ice melt isn't particularly elucidating as most people are very familiar with the common concepts of melting and freezing. A demonstration of centripetal force performed by my professor, however, helped me gain a great understanding of the nature of the interaction. Seeing him swing a full bucket of water over his head without getting wet left a lasting impression on me.

    ReplyDelete